Leave Youmo quickly!

I think I’m transgender. How can I get help?

Jag tror att jag är transperson, hur kan jag få hjälp? - engelska


I have the body of a boy, but feel like I’m really a girl. I want to change my name and look like a girl. What should I do?


If you feel like your body doesn’t match the gender you identify with, you need to take those feelings seriously. You can get help and support to decide what to do by contacting a youth guidance centre (called ungdomsmottagning in Swedish) or a healthcare centre. If you’re still in school, you can contact the student health centre (called elevhälsan in Swedish).

You can change your first name if you are registered in the Swedish Population Register. You do this by sending a name change application to the Swedish Tax Agency. You can switch to a girl’s name even if you still have a boy’s body. If you are younger than 18, your legal guardian has to approve. But, if you are 18 or older, you don’t need anyone else’s approval to change your name. Here is more information on what to do

If you want, you can undergo treatment to change your body. In such case, you first need to undergo a gender identity assessment. There are special assessment teams in different areas of Sweden who perform these assessments. A youth guidance centre or healthcare centre can help you arrange a meeting with an assessment team.

If you are an asylum seeker or an undocumented immigrant, you have the right to meet a care provider like a psychologist, doctor or nurse to talk about your situation. But, you must be registered in the Swedish Population Register and have a residence permit here in order to undergo a gender identity assessment.

If you have already started treatment, such as hormone therapy, in a different country, you have the right to continue with this treatment. In such case, you can contact one of the assessment teams and ask how to get help. Here is a list of assessment teams

To the top of the page